Sunday, March 7, 2010

Korean Variety Shows

One of my guilty pleasures is watching Korean Variety Shows. I don't know what a good American show comparison would be to explain the KV shows. They are kind of a mix of our late night shows with reality shows, with a little bit of influence from the Japanese Game shows. The biggest difference is that you don't have to worry about any smut happening...at least in the ones I've seen. And, I hate to admit it, but I've seen quite a few.

Some of my favorites can be found on youtube. (Ah! The joy of youtube! It's almost up there with Google itself.)
Thanks For Waking Us Up -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCk-nWp_QDQ
Strong Heart -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DWZjoV_ztw
We Got Married -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL65Qdb5UPo

Of course, it doesn't hurt that members of SS501 have participated in each of these shows. (Fangirl moment over now) Watching these shows has taught me a lot about Korean pop culture and Korean humor. You also get to know the famous celebrity hosts (people like Jay Leno).

Korean Variety shows are super entertaining and do things that I wouldn't see on American TV. For example, where would you see a group of celebrities getting interviewed in a sauna and randomly getting shot with water depending upon their answers (Happy Together)? On Thanks For Waking Us Up, the participants have to put up with being woken up in crazy ways and never knowing when it would happen. Somehow, I think that would be a lawsuit waiting to happen here, but it is entirely amusing to me.

So if you need a break from American reality, take a quick trip to youtube and enjoy the Korean variety...show that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment