Sunday, February 28, 2010

How to Get a Korean Pen Pal

"We are good friendship, ok!" -Kim Hyung Joon (SS501)

When you are learning about a new country the best way to learn the truth about it is to talk to the natives. Stacey, my sister Jenny and I thought about all the people we knew who might know some one from Korea to help us learn more about it, but the more we thought we realize there had to be an easier way of finding people. We decided we would look for a website that would help us find penpals from Korea. After some searching we found the website http://penpalwel.com/ As we looked around the website we realized most of the Koreans on the site were looking for people who are native English speakers to help them learn English. We figured someone was bound to write to one of us. Each of us created a profile and waited for people to write to us.

A day later we were amazed to see people had started writing to us asking us to help them learn English. My first pen pal was so excited when I wrote back because he had written to a lot of other people and they never wrote back. He told me he was going to give up trying after writing to me. He was so excited that I was going to help him he went out and bought a book on how to write to pen pals effectively. It made me so happy to write to him.

Now I have about 5 or 6 different pen pals who write to me. It is amazing how different my letters are to each of them. They teach me about Korea and their culture and I teach them about English and living in the USA. It is amazing to me how nice they are. When one of my pen pals found out my favorite genre to read was fairytales she went out and bought Korean fairytale books that are written in English and Korean. I know not every Korean will be nice, but it is reassuring to know when we get to Korea we will have some friends there already.

A lot of the information that we will be posting on here will be coming from our pen pals and other websites that we like to visit. We have posted the links to some of our favorite sites for you to check out.

No comments:

Post a Comment